A little over a year ago, I was thrust into the world of travel softball. Coaching my daughter since she was in tee-ball, I'd always had an assumption that there has to be more competitive levels than what a regular recreational league provides... BOY was I surprised when I was approached to start and manage a 10U travel team!!!
Growing up playing baseball through my high school years, and getting a smattering here and there about how softball is played, I had a STEEP learning curve to go through. Did you know there's a "coach" for just about anything you want to do? I didn't... and boy did I feel inadequate when I realized I need help: pitching coach, fielding coach, batting coach, catching coach, speed/agility, strength/conditioning coaches??? - WHAT???? Well - I get it now, I didn't know everything, and still don't, but if you want to have a competitive team, you need more knowledge than what your typical dad-manager/coach can offer.
My first year team was a group of 8U All-Stars and a handful of non-travel girls, and I thrust them through the gates of hell... Practice twice per week, hitting twice per week, optional Saturday - WOW... I was excited at first, I was going to make something out of this team. It truly was an amazing and special year, the girls grew SO much, and I'm proud of everyone of them... I will always have fond memories of that first year, but it came with a lot of ups and downs. We ended up being too good of a first year team for the league we were in, but not good enough to be a winning tournament team.
The emotions from everyone, myself included, were so intense - euphoric highs when we won tough games, pent up anger and frustration that occassionally bled out between myself and -coaches, -players, -parents. I held the program close to my chest, all finances, fundraisers, game planning, uniforms, practices, expenditures - EVERYTHING... A few parents from the team had some previous exerience in the travel realm, but I needed to understand all the aspects of this sport for a few reasons; I needed to know how the mechanisms worked, I didn't want to have to hold anyone else accountable for failures other than myself... My levels of anxiety were through the roof. It would not have been pretty and I'm certain I would have lost player and family if I'd let anyone else take some control. I did lose two, not to me letting them handle something, but due to my increased intensity and drive to turn those girls into more than they ever had been. It still haunts me to this day, especially when one of them used to be a very close family friend, it was a mutual split, but on some days it sure still feels like I drove her out. I was never one of those coaches that yelled at umps, other team, picked fights, but I think many of the parents, myself included, were not prepared for the level of intensity that I was going to drive their daughters to. I also wasn't prepared for the expectation to "win" - a growing year just wasn't acceptable, nor that there is no such thing as loyalty in travel ball.
Paralleling my obsession to accelerate these girls, was my quest for "all stuff softball." It was bigger than I had ever imagined. A bit funny when the coach from the new team we joined up with this year asked about hitting aids, fielding aids, pitching aids, pitching machines, etc, etc, etc.... ummmmm yep - got it, got that too, yep and that, and that. I didn't realize how much I'd personally amassed with my own finances in just one year... geesh.
For this new season, we didn't have enough girls come to tryouts to field a team - it was very unfortunate since the organization I was part of had phenominal year round resources. We combined my returning girls with another team. At first it was a struggle letting go of many of the reigns, and at times it still gets to me, but everything happens for a reason. With this team, we're more competitive than we ever could have been on our own. I am appreciating the decreased levels of stress that comes with all the other "stuff" that comes with managing a team. I am thoroughly enjoying the better quality time that I get to spend with my daughter... I still keep pushing her buttons to keep her improving, but no where near the level of last year :-). Ironically, it's only the end of February, and I've been wondering what our team will look like next year; who will stay, who will go, who will not come back, what can I do to make sure I get the core group of girls back? Such is the life of a travel coach though I guess, once it's in your blood you just can't stop.
Here's to a great season!!!
BK
No comments:
Post a Comment